This about the 1969 film. For the stage adaptation, see Goodbye, Mr. Chips (musical).
Goodbye, Mr. Chips is an adaptation of the James Hilton novella.
- Michael Redgrave - The Headmaster
- George Baker - Lord Sutterwick
- Sîan Phillips - Ursula Mossbank
- Michael Bryant - Max Staeffel
- Jack Hedley - William Baxter
Arthur Chipping is a stodgy teacher of Latin, disliked by his students. He meets music hall soubrette Katherine Bridges in the dining room of the Savoy Hotel in London on the eve of his summer holiday. Dissatisfied with her career and depressed by her romantic entanglements, she sets sail on a Mediterranean cruise and is reunited with Chips by chance in Pompeii. Seeing in him a lonely soul similar to herself, she arranges an evening at the theater after they return to England, and the two find themselves drawn to each other. When Chips arrives at Brookfield for the autumn term, it is with his new wife on his arm, much to the shock of the staff and delight of the pupils, who find Mrs Chips's charm to be irresistible.
Although her close friend and confidante Ursula Mossbank helps Katherine thwart Lord Sutterwick's plan to deprive the school of a generous financial endowment because of the woman's background, her past eventually deprives Chips of being named headmaster, but the couple's devotion to each other overcomes all obstacles threatening their marriage. In the original film, Katherine died in childbirth, but the remake allows the couple to remain together for twenty years, until she is killed by a German V-1 flying bomb while entertaining the troops at a local army base. Too late for his wife to share in his happiness, Chips finally achieves his dream of becoming headmaster of Brookfield, and lives out his days at the school, loved by his pupils and comforted by his happy memories.
- "Fill the World With Love" - Boys
- "Where Did My Childhood Go?" - Mr. Chips
- "London is London" - Katherine
- "And the Sky Smiled" - Katherine
- "Apollo" - Katherine
- "When I Am Older" - Boys
- "Walk Through the World" - Katherine
- "Fill the World With Love" - Katherine and Boys
- What Shall I Do With Today?" - Katherine
- "What A Lot of Flowers" - Mr. Chips
- "What A Lot of Flowers" (reprise) - Mr. Chips
- "And the Sky Smiled" (reprise) - Katherine
- "Schooldays" - Katherine and Boys
- "You and I" - Katherine
- "Fill the World With Love" (reprise) - Mr. Chips and Boys