|Born||August 19th, 1948 |
|Productions||Guys and Dolls as Big Jule |
The Wizard of Oz as Zeke/The Cowardly Lion (original London cast)
Downton Abbey as Charles Carson
Jim Carter is an English actor.
Born in Harrogate, Yorkshire, Carter studied at the University of Sussex and began acting in theatre groups in Brighton, leading to appearances in various prductions across the country. He made his film debut in 1980 and would go on to appear in such films as The Madness of King George, Richard III and The Golden Compass.
However Carter's best known role came with his being cast as Charles Carson, the stoic butler in Dowton Abbey, a role for which he earned four Emmy nominations. He also appeared in a number of other television shows, including Not the Nine O'Clock News, The All New Alexei Sayle Show and Cranford.
Onstage, Carter appeared as Big Jule in Guys and Dolls, and originated the role of The Cowardly Lion and his Kansas alter-ego Zeke in the 1987 musical version of The Wizard of Oz. He also sang a snippet of "Dashing Away with the Smoothing Iron" in Downton Abbey.
- Dashing Away with the Smoothing Iron (solo)
- Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat
- If I Only Had the Nerve (contains solo lines)
- We're Off to See the Wizard (second reprise)
- Optimistic Voices/Act One Finale
- The Merry Old Land of Oz (contains solo lines)
- If I Were King of the Forest (contains solo lines)
- The Jitterbug
- March of the Winkies (reprise)
- Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead