|Born||April 14th, 1917 |
|Died||November 13th, 1998 |
|Productions||The King and I as Anna Leonowens (original London cast)|
|Recordings||The King and I (London Cast)|
Valerie Hobson was an Irish-born British actress.
Born Babette Hobson in Larne, Ireland, she became an actress in her early teens, and in 1935, appeared in Bride of Frankenstein as the Baroness Frankenstein and later appeared in The Wolf Man.
Hobson later appeared, memorably in Great Expectations, and as the haughtily beautiful Edith D'Ascoyne in Kind Hearts and Coronets. Also a stage actress, Hobson made her final starring appearance on stage, before marrying politician John Profumo.
Hobson played only one singing part, in her final starring role as Anna in the original London cast of The King and I.
- I Whistle a Happy Tune (duet)
- Hello, Young Lovers (solo)
- The Royal Bangkok Academy (contains solo lines)
- Getting to Know You (contains solo lines)
- Shall I Tell You What I Think of You? (solo)
- Hello, Young Lovers (reprise)(solo)
- Song of the King (duet)
- Shall We Dance? (duet)
- I Whistle a Happy Tune (reprise)(solo)