Yankee Doodle Dandy is a 1942 musical biopic.
- James Cagney - George M. Cohan
- Henry Blair - Young George
- Sally Sweetland - Mary Cohan (singing voice)
- Jo Ann Marlowe - Young Mary
- Walter Huston - Jerry Cohan
- Irene Manning - Fay Templeton
- Rosemary DeCamp - Nellie Cohan
- Jeanne Cagney - Josie Cohan
- Frances Langford - Nora Bayes
- Joan Leslie - Mary Cohan
In the early days of World War II, Cohan comes out of retirement to star as President Roosevelt in the Rodgers and Hart musical I'd Rather Be Right. On the first night, he is summoned to meet the President at the White House, who presents him with a Congressional Gold Medal. Cohan is overcome and chats with Roosevelt, recalling his early days on the stage. The film flashes back to his supposed birth on July 4, whilst his father is performing on the vaudeville stage.
Cohan and his sister join the family act as soon as they can learn to dance, and soon The Four Cohans are performing successfully. But George gets too cocky as he grows up and is blacklisted by theatrical producers for being troublesome. He leaves the act and hawks his songs unsuccessfully around to producers. In partnership with another struggling writer, Sam Harris, he finally interests a producer and they are on the road to success. He also marries Mary, a young singer/dancer.
As his star ascends, he persuades his now struggling parents to join his act, eventually vesting some of his valuable theatrical properties in their name.
Cohan retires, but returns to the stage several times, culminating in the role of the U.S. President. As he leaves the White House, he performs a dance step down the stairs. Outside, he joins a military parade, where the soldiers are singing "Over There". Not knowing that Cohan is the song's composer, they jokingly invite him to join in, which he does.
- "Keep Your Eyes Upon Me (The Dancing Master)" - Jerry and Young George
- "While Strolling Through the Park One Day" - Young Josie
- "I Was Born in Virginia" - George, Josie, Jerry and Nellie
- "The Warmest Baby in the Bunch" - Mary
- "Harrigan" - George and Mary
- "The Yankee Doodle Boy" - George, Mary and Chorus
- "Give My Regards To Broadway" - George and Chorus
- "Oh You Wonderful Girl/Blue Skies, Gray Skies/The Belle of the Barbers' Ball" - George, Josie, Jerry and Nellie
- "Mary's a Grand Old Name" - Mary
- "Forty-Five Minutes from Broadway" - George
- "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (reprise) - Mary
- "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (second reprise) - Fay
- "Forty-Five Minutes from Broadway" (reprise) - Chorus.
- "So Long, Mary" - Fay and Chorus
- "You're a Grand Old Flag" - George and Chorus.
- "Like the Wandering Minstrel" - George and Chorus.
- "Over There" - Nora, George and Chorus.
- "A George M. Cohan Potpouri" - Nora
- "Off the Record" - George
- "Over There" (reprise) - George and Chorus